Thursday, September 4, 2008

rumpdy dumpty

its amusing the competition that you see in the industry standard web browsers. I mean, today you are likely to see:

And there are probably a number that we don't see for such platforms as symbian, linux, BSD, et cetera. But it is a point to stop and consider what the motivation is behind such a number of competing sources to access a unified protocol (hypertext transfer protocol - HTTP). It simply adds new features and fancy dancy ways of interacting with Java, Ajax, flash , web objects and and the multitude of scripting languages out there. Granted, some of them may offer increased functionality with progressing web standards with their expansion plugins and so on but beyond the basic pros and cons of "its bundled with the operating system by default" and "its open-source" and "I like it, its shiny" there isn't much difference from one to the other.

So there you have it, my rant for the day. It has been rather gloomy today because it has been raining for the past 5-6 hours, so I decided that I might sit down and post a bit of a blog to bring everyone up to speed as it were.

I'm just coming up to the end of third term and man is the pressure on like no tomorrow. This tends to be the busiest term in the year as we are mostly uninterrupted by camps or long public holidays and nastily exhausting things like that. But personally, it hasn't been all that bad, at this point I have a persuasive oral for English, a performance for music, a seminar for drama, an exam for IT, an access DB for IT and an exam for math. So over all, it could be worse I guess.

For those who haven't yet discovered this service, I would strongly recommend that you take a look at ping.fm. It is a system through which you are able to unify all your services like live journal, blogger, my space, facebook and all that to post status updates, micro blogs and blogs. Helps for me as this entry needs to be posted on blogger, live journal and myspace so posting it in one location tends to minimize the posting process.

This paragraph is simply to inform you that I have chocolate. Although it wouldn't be a paragraph with out a second sentence detailing that this chocolate happens to be of the milk variety and comes in 1CM^2 squares. This paragraph would also not be complete without a link back to the point that Internet browsers are annoying.

I've also had the flue for the past week or so which has really put a dampener on my piano playing. For those who know me, this would seem preposterous but I didn't touch a keyboard for almost a week which was tragic, especially for my standards. I also managed to misplace my falsetto for the vast majority of that time also which irritated me to no end as I pride myself of having a reasonably strong range from a 2nd octave E to a 5th octave F comfortably.

Now with that, I will leave you with this minuscule entry and finish listening to digitally imported and Sky. For anyone who hasn't signed up to these services, go do it now, you know you want to.

No comments: