Monday, September 22, 2008

Squeaky Wheel

Sadness comes in many forms: ones that we see a lot in today's society are depression, suicide, rape and addictions, all attributed to some form of internal struggle within ourselves. We should be ashamed that we live in such a society that allows such depraved circumstances for our fellows to be ensnared within. Yet the statistics rise: teenage suicide, automotive accidents, depression and so on. I speak from personal experience, sitting on the sidelines watching helpless as people who I care about spiral into their own destruction.

I'm really going to have to stop starting these entries with such dismal openings. However dismal, they are accurate with painful clarity. I don't know what spawned such an emotional outpouring considering I was talking to someone on MSN about peanut butter and someone else about elvish. Ahh well, multi-tasking, streamed thought and all that.

Today I met guidedogs Queensland's newest trainer Katie Kerr - who was recently qualified as an instructor in the United States (California - Guidedogs For The blind). Though I know she may read this blog, Katie I would apologize if you find any of the following embarrassing. As a person - both professionally and personally - she struck me as someone with a lot of self-confidence and ability. From her younger stance, she has a unique opportunity to connect with those around her of the younger generation more essentially than other trainers - not to put any slight upon the working qualities or qualifications of other Guidedog Instructors such as my primary instructor Andrew Barnes. Considering that she is coming from a different school - compounded with the fact that it is an international school - she is willing to learn and adapts quickly. I think that she thought that I was going to bite her or something throughout our two short sessions today as she seemed to be slightly self-conscious of her and myself despite her underlying confidence that I believe she could exude. But beyond this, I would like to wish Katie all the best here and hope that she will find a home amongst the team.

School holidays are now in full swing - or as full as they can get with me - and I am still no closer to actually getting anywhere worthwhile. I do have a couple of side-projects going on this holidays such as helping my English Teacher - Adam Maessen - to edit his Novel that he is writing on his University Days and correcting it of continuity glitches and all that. I wrote an essay on two books for English - this being one of them - showing how gender and class are represented in Australian literature. I have attached it here for anyone who is interested - in Microsoft Word 2003 format.

As well as that, I head off to Melbourne in a few days to visit a few friends of mine and to check out the scenes. However, I don't know if it was entirely a good idea to do it now as the forecast seems to predict temperatures from 14-19 degrees Celsius (57-66 degrees Fahrenheit). Ah well, ya win some ya lose some... What can ya do?

Flack appears to be telling me that its either food time - which it isn't - or that he wants to go outside. So, in the ever present devotion to my dog, I will love and leave you readers. Its almost strange that I am updating in a semi-normal frequency, its not within my nature to blog so effectively. Hmm, its a conspiracy!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.